BioMed News of Image Manipulation or Reuse in Published Research
Heart research performed at University of Michigan and University of Chicago that received at least $780,000 in US Government Grants contained over 100 fraudulent images. It was determined “24 Western Blot images… were duplicated and falsely relabeled Western blots of unrelated experiments”.
- ORI : Researcher Faked Dozens of Experiments (MAY 25, 2016)
- Heart researcher faked 70+ experiments, 100+ images (MAY 25, 2016)
- Case Summary: Malhotra, Ricky (MAY 24, 2016)
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine researcher has entered into a Voluntary Exclusion Agreement for image fraud. “Specifically, ORI found that Respondent duplicated images, or trimmed and / or manipulated blot images from unrelated sources to obscure their origin, and relabeled them to represent different experimental results” in 8 Peer Reviewed Articles and 1 US Government NIH Grant application.
- Case Summary : Pastorino, John G. (MAY 10, 2016)
Microbiologist at Stanford University, Elisabeth Bik, et al., analyzed over 20,600 scientific articles and concluded that 782 articles (3.8%) contained an “inappropriate image manipulation”.
Research on Genetically Modified Crops that were used by an Italian Senate Hearing were found to contain intentionally altered images. After the images used in Professor Federico Infascelli’s research more more carefully examined it was suggested that it contained manipulated and reused images from previously published research without proper citation.
- Italian papers on genetically modified crops under investigation (JAN 18, 2016)
- Italian research group subject of data fabrication probe (JAN 15, 2016)
“The Journal of Cell Biology performed a detailed study over the past decade and, commendably, has shared this information publicly. The study found that 10% of articles accepted for publication included inappropriate manipulations of image data that contravened journal policy.”
Researcher at the Harvard Medical School affiliated Joslin Diabetes Center used copied images from published papers without proper citation. These copied images ended up in articles published by Hi Impact factor journals Blood and Nature. The research for these papers were funded by 3 different US Government Research Grants.
- NOT-OD-12-147 : Findings of Research Misconduct (SEP 6, 2012)
- ORI finds Harvard stem cell lab post-doc Mayack manipulated images (AUG 29, 2012)
University of Connecticut turns down $890,000 in US Government Research Grants due to Image Fraud. The university’s special review board found ‘examples were pasted-up “artificial blots” that “bear no resemblance to any legitimate experiment” and represent total fabrications. The board also found examples of background erasure, image duplication, and images having been spliced together.’
Seoul National University Professor that has received 40 Million USD in Government Grants steps down. It was found that research that he published contained manipulated images “showing the 11 patient specific stem cell lines, had been faked”…
- Korean scientist resigns over fake stem cell research (DEC 23 ,2005)
Other BioMed News on Fraudulent Research
- Make research misconduct involving agri inputs a criminal fraud : CCFI (MAY 18, 2016)
- JACS imaging paper “under editorial review” (MAR 23, 2016)
- Fake HIV research lands ex-university scientist 4.5-year prison term (JUL 2, 2015)
- Researcher who spiked rabbit blood to fake HIV vaccine results slapped with rare prison sentence (JUL 1, 2015)
- What pushes scentists to lie? The disturbing but familiar story of Haruko Obokata (FEB 18, 2015)
- Stem cell fake! Researcher retracts paper after accusations of fraud (DEC 23, 2014)
- Japan, the consequences of academic fraud of how serious? (DEC 22, 2014)
- Japanese stem-cell ‘breakthrough’ findings retracted (JUL 2, 2014)
- Serial fakery : Researcher found to have committed misconduct at Harvard and Oxford (MAY 29, 2014)
- Netizens Notice STAP Cell Scientist’s PhD ‘Plagiarism’ (MAR 12, 2014)
- Science journals crack down on image manipulation (OCT , 2009)
- Manipulation and Misconduct in the Handling of Image Data (SEP , 2013)
- Fraud and misconduct in science: the stem cell seduction (JAN, 2009)
- Science fraud: from patchwork mouse to patchwork data (APR ,2006)
- S Korea cloning research was fake (DEC 23 ,2005)
- Stem-cell pioneer accused of faking data (DEC 15 ,2005)